Translate

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Repost 1600's Wow!

Original post on, Sunday, April 11, 2010

1600's! Wow!

Ancient History

I played around on the computer today looking at family genealogy. Several years ago I started working on my Great Grandmother Carrie Boyd’s family. Family lore says that we are Wyandotte Indians and I was trying to find out if it is true. I had traced the family back to my GG Grandfather Oliver Boyd. Also know as Ology Boyd and Olie G. Boyd. It was funny when I found Ology on a Census because I knew his name was Oliver G. I can just see the little Cencus man ask "what is your name" and GGG says Olie G Boyd and the man rights down Ology as one word. Anyway he was my dead end for a long time. I had given up and just not messed with it for years. Bruce and I were talking about going to the Wyandotte Cemetery this weekend and I was motivated to get to looking. That is when I found out his father is buried in the same place. I plugged his father, Daniel Boyd, into rootsweb.com and Boom! The family history goes all the way back to 1600 for a James Boyd born in Scotland. The 1st Boyd listed as being born in America lived in VA to the very ripe old age of 101. Another one of his ancestors lived until he was 97. So I now understand why G. Grandmother Carrie lived in to her 90's. I hope this means I have a long life ahead of me too!

So while I was inspired I checked on my dad’s side of the family and traced it back to a James Hamil from Ireland born in 1727.

I knew we had Irish back there somewhere but I never knew we were Scots too! The Scots men back in the 1600's married English women from Yorkshire England. So Scottish and English from grandpa Clark’s mother’s (Carrie Boyd) family. I still can’t tie in the Wyandotte. The Oliver Boyd family listed in the Census from Indian Territory, Quapaw Agency Lands where listed as white. They were buried in the Indian Cemetery but I don’t know if they are "Wyandottes" or "Whites". There is supposed to be Indian from my dad’s family but I can’t confirm that yet. So far Irish from dad’s family. Not bad for one day of work.

I was inspired and looked and dad’s mom’s family. Grandmother Lottie’s maiden name was Pogue. Her mother’s maiden name was Carter. I was able to trace that family back to a Revolutionary War Veteran. That was cool! Her family did not say where they immigrated from just that they were from MS, GA. and NC. Here is the note attached to one of the genealogies. Name: Matthew CARTER , Jr. Sex: M Birth: 26 JAN 1781 in GA Death: 15 DEC 1852 in Jackson Co., MS Burial: in fork of Red and Black Creeks at his old home place Event: Revolutionary War Veteran - Served from the State of NC



It was so cool that someone else had already listed these family trees. All I had to do was click on the previous generation listed.

I tried to find stuff for Bruce’s family but it was not there. I know his Dad has some paper work with the Turrentino name on it. I need to see if I can use those names and find something.

Time for me to go to bed. Up at 5:00 am and I had better get my rest since it is almost Monday!. I wish the weekend would last longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment