Translate

Friday, August 13, 2010

I love to read!

How, or better yet why, do I wonder around with blinders on?  Days or weeks later I will realize that yet again I have let something go unnoticed.  I can remember seeing it but I did not recognize it for what it is/was.  How do I do that?  Of course then I am tempted to ask to many questions.  Just because I finally noticed something does not give me the right to poke around in it.  I will borrow something my sister said to me this week, "Pain is personal".  Note to self = Do not poke around in other's pain!
A friend posted something by a poet that I haven't heard of yet.  Not that that is difficult, I don't read a lot of poetry.  But I do love to read and reading all about Rainer Rilke and his works has been enjoyable way to spend a Friday night.  I would never have found time to do something like this when my girls were still home.  They took most of my attention and what was left I gave to work, home, and husband.  Part of that "I was too busy making it through each day to enjoy it."  I would never have taken the time to really enjoy a good poem a few years ago.  I might have read it and thought how nice, but would have left it at that.  I feel it is past time I started noticing things other than just making it through the day.  My very favorite by Rilke that I have come across so far is "Extinguish Thou My Eyes"  To open yourself up enough to feel that?  It is not one of the poems listed as his most famous.  I will leave those for a little later.  Right now I am just enjoying have something nice to read.  I wish I could express my thoughts just a bit like a poet does.  They can say so much with so few words.  I am going back to read more.  : )

1 comment:

  1. As much as we love to read, one of us should have been a writer! Glad you are taking time to do something for you. You deserve that! Being a mom is all-encompassing. You give up so much of yourself. Of course, it is totally worth it. But now, sigh, you can figure out who you really are! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete