Translate

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Repost Making peace with my name.

Original post on Sunday, July 11, 2010

Making peace with my name.



My little Sister, my Step Mother and myself have been scanning and sharing old photos. It has been so much fun to look back at them. I miss the family members that have passed and it was nice to see their faces again even if it was just in a photo. My Step Mother has some OLD family photos. Pictures of the Hamil side of the family. I have only met most of them 1 or 2 times in my life and it is nice to see that side of my family.

My Uncle Bud, my dad’s big brother, is still alive and I asked him & his wife to look at the scanned photos that were not marked on the back to see if they could put names to the faces. There is one that is a large group of people that I was told was taken in the early 1950's. It has my great Grandmother Hamil in it. And 6 of her 8 children. Yes 8 children. I didn’t even know there were that many siblings in my grandfathers family. I was a teenager before I met my grandfather Fred Hamil. He wasn’t a very nice man. He was also a child molester. That is why my Grandmother Lottie divorced him. My dad came from that same tree. It makes me wonder are any of the other Hamil’s that way. Uncle Bud isn’t and I don’t think my Uncle Bob was. But my dad & his dad were. So did it go back any further? Sins of the father......? How many generations was it passed down?

While talking to Aunt Bobby I realized that there is so much about the Hamil’s that I just don’t know. She told me today that she has known Bud since she was 4 yrs old. They will be married 49 yrs later this summer.

I know that some of the Hamil family is still in Skiatook, OK. Bobby told me that 2 of those 8 kids are still alive. I didn’t even know they existed until today. I remember being told that one of the Great Uncles wives did a history of the Hamil’s and had a book made of it. I would love to see it. I may not know these people, I may not want to know these people but I am related to them. I need to go spend some time with my Uncle Bud and Aunt Bobby. They are my last link with the people in the old photos that can answer things. They knew those people and can tell me about them. PLUS they are nice people and I haven’t got many on that side that are nice.

Gotta see about getting together with them soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment