Translate

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Repost Grams

Original post on, Thursday, July 22, 2010

Grams

I went to visit my Grams tonight. She has been out of town visiting her son in Oregon for the last few months. I miss her when she is gone but she has always traveled so I am used to it.

Grams is my mother's mom. She is a short lady with lots of attitude. She grew up with out much family. Her own mother was too busy chasing men to take care of her. Great Grandmother Zelia is known in the family for her many husbands. She left Grams to take care of herself and her little brother when Grams was still in High School.

Grams’ birthday is Friday. She will be 89 years old. She still gets around ok but her short term memory is gone. She smokes Pall Mall non filter cigs and likes her beer, Budweiser, in the can, and her coffee very STRONG! She needs her eyes checked , we all think she has cataracts. She hasn’t gone to a Doctor because nobody in the family can talk her into going to one.

The family did take her driving privileges away from her a few years ago and she is still PISSED about that. They have to hide her car keys from her.

I have really noticed that age has caught up with Grams the last few years. She has always been there in my life. She is who I spent most of my holidays with growing up. Even when we were put in the Children’s home she was still part of my life. We spent a lot of weekends with her.

Last Thanksgiving was the 1st year that I had with out Grams. Her kids sent her out of town early to AZ. She usually spends the winter in AZ but she usually goes after Turkey day. It just didn’t seem right with out Grams.

I know I don’t have many more years with her. I am just not sure how I will face a world with out her in it.

1 comment:

  1. I love Grams. She sure is fading fast. I really miss how she used to be.

    ReplyDelete