Translate

Monday, February 28, 2011

From the back of my brain.

Back when I was about 5 years of age my mother was put in a mental hospital.  The kinder or more gentle way it was explained back then, was that mom had a nervous breakdown.  I remember some but not much of that episode.  I remember asking Grams where my mom was.  Grams told me that mom was sick and was getting help.  I also remember everyone seemed to be on an emotional edge for several days.  I know that she broke Grams' China Hutch.  Grams had all kinds of glassware in there that she had collected.  Mom turned the whole thing over and broke almost every thing inside.
This was the first time that mom was locked up.  My brother, sister and myself stayed with Grams and Gramps while she was away.  I don't remember being upset for very long that mom was gone.  Grams took good care of us. 
On our way to Missouri this weekend I remembered something.  I don't know why this surfaced from the back of my brain.  It was a trip that Gramps and Grams took us on to Vinita, OK to visit mom at the mental hospital.  I know we were all very excited that we were going to see her.  I remember bugging Gramps because we all kept asking "Are we there yet?"  He got tired of that question and told us we were not allowed to ask it anymore.  So our next question was "Is it much further?"  Grams laughed at that so Gramps wasn't as grumpy.  The ride seem to take forever!  We stopped on the way to take a break.  I am sure Grams was the one that suggested it so that Gramps could have a break from us!
We were on the Will Rogers Turnpike and our rest stop was the Howard Johnson.  I was fascinated!  The building is still there but it is a McDonald's now.
The building is a bridge across the Turnpike.  There are tables all along the windows.  I loved sitting at the table and watching all the cars drive under me. 
It is just a small memory and not very complete.  I barely remember getting there and seeing my mom.  But I do remember the glass house restaurant.  Plus it wasn't every day that Grams could laugh at something and change Gramps grouchy mood.  I know we all fell asleep on the way home.  We weren't as excited.  Going home was not an adventure. 
I have only been inside the Glass House one other time. 
I know where I will take a break on the next trip to Missouri.  I will have my camera with me.  I want to take a picture of the traffic as it drives under me. 
Maybe, just maybe, it will pull a little bit more of that 5 year old little girl's memories to the front of my brain.

2 comments:

  1. Strange how we yearn to take a peak at the past whenever we are near some haunt from our youth.

    I find that things aren't quite the same as I remember them. Usually, things look smaller now than when I was a child.

    You are right about how visiting such places brings back long forgotten memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have very vague memories of that trip, too. That was a tricky time of our lives. :( Very transitional.

    ReplyDelete