Translate

Sunday, February 13, 2011

All day

I love the weekend.  I enjoy not waking up to the alarm the most.  That thing, the alarm clock, can make the most awful sound.  I am not a morning person but once I am up and moving I do ok.  Ok, once I am up, moving and have had several cups of my lovely friend coffee, I am ok.  I woke up this Saturday morning before dawn and laid there in the dark dreading hearing the alarm going off until I remembered it was Saturday.  It was such a pleasant realization that I REALLY enjoyed rolling over and going back to sleep. 
I did finally wake up, make my coffee, and drink several cups before I finally got in the shower and got ready for the day.
We were going shopping.  Uggghhh
At least it wasn't shoe shopping.
We were looking for a new truck for the hubby.  Oh joy car salesmen....
He has been looking at the Toyota trucks on line and wanted to go test drive one.  He took the title to his old truck with him.  I was pretty sure we were not bringing old red home with us. 
The Toyota dealership is wayyyyy on the other side of Tulsa.  So from 86 St North to 91 St South.  At least it is a straight shot all the way down US 169.  Three brand new, smooth lanes most of the way too.  We left the house around 9am.  I had no idea this was going to take all day.  ALLLLLLL  dayyyyyyyyy. 
Never go car shopping on a Saturday.  Go on Wednesday evening.  I was told that was the day they are the slowest.  If I ever go buy another new vehicle it will be on Wednesday.
So we make it to the car dealership parking lot.  There are huge piles of snow every where.  The main areas have been plowed and it was just warm enough that everything in the sunshine was starting to melt.  The sun was not shining in between the vehicles.  The snow had been packed down hard and frozen in between each truck.  I didn't dare try to walk in between.  I have a healthy fear of slipping on the ice.  I do not want to start all over on my neck healing!  Besides this wasn't for me.  All I was there for was to say if I was comfortable riding in the passenger side of the vehicle.  We actually looked around for several minutes before a salesman found us.  That should have been my 1st clue at how busy they were.  Usually you drive through the lot and there are 2 or more chasing you down. 
We test drove a pretty little black truck 1st.  Nice ride, new, all kinds of fancy options.  But not exactly what the hubby wanted.  The salesman drove us around to the back lot where there were several more that had just came in.  They were so new that they hadn't finished getting them ready for the main lot.  Plus with all the snow they were kinda buried in the fenced off grassy area.  There were several to choose from but the hubby went straight to a beautiful blue one.  It had everything he wanted except for the step rails.  Those can always be added later.  So the salesman had one of the shop men dig it out and bring it around.  This pretty little blue truck drove even nicer.  It had better wheels and tires on it.  None of those low profile things.  Real tires that cushion some of the bumps and pot holes.  There are going to be lots of pot holes with the last two weeks weather!  Lots.
We tell our nice little salesman that we are interested in buying the truck and to make us an offer.  Oh!  I forgot to mention that our salesman was not a local guy at all.  He was from England.  Nice man with duel citizenship.  His dad met his mom while in the Air Force.  He lived here in the US as a child for a bit but went back to England at the age of 8.  He moved back to the US about 4 years ago to work with his Uncle's construction company right after a huge ice storm we had in NE Oklahoma. 
Have I mentioned that I hate winter?  It is such a pain!
So Tom, our salesman, says that he came in to buy a truck and ended up with a job instead. 
He was a good salesman.  Knew his product.  Wasn't too pushy.  So I imagine he does good.  He made us an offer, the hubby countered and they accepted.  Now we had to wait for one of the finance men.  We waited and waited.  They were busy.  We were ready to leave to go get something to eat.  We had been there for about 3 hours at this point and we were both hungry.  So the finance manager had the cafe inside the dealership (Yes a cafe with latte, coffee, pop, tea, cookies, muffins and sandwiches) make each of us a free club sandwich.  They didn't want us to leave and possibly get cold feet I guess.  After we ate Tom came back and we talked about families.  He kept us entertained as best as he could but it was still a long wait.  About an hour and a half later it was our turn with the finance man.  You will never believe where he was from.  England.  Go figure 2 working at the same dealership.  Another nice man that was good at his job.  We bartered and bargained, got a good interest rate, signed everything then it was back to waiting.  They had to get our truck ready.  They did finally get every thing done and handed the hubby his keys.  It was nice to be headed home!  It was 7pm by the time we made it back to the house.  Such a long day.  Very long day. 
So here is what we came home with.

Pretty ain't it? 

Sorry!

Pretty isn't it?

3 comments:

  1. Nice Truck.

    Over here in the UK, those in the know buy new vehicles at the end of the month. Usually, the salesman is under pressure at this time to meet targets regarding sales. As a result you can normally get a good deal or at least some heavily discounted 'extras' for the vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Surprised that he went with Toyota! I know he does his research and that must be what he really wanted. I just thought it would be another Chevy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack - Our bargain time was right after 2 weeks of major snow that buried everyone inside. They hadn't sold much in weeks! Feb-Mar are good times to buy new here. We might have done a bit better waiting until the end of March but then he may not have found just the one he wanted.

    Lisa - Go figure, just when we think we know our guys they go and change their minds and do something completely different.

    ReplyDelete