Translate

Monday, April 30, 2012

Death's comfort

I have been playing around in family history again. 
The Boyd side is Scottish and I was able to trace it back to 1751 from a family member born in Virginia.
Tonight I have been tracing the Clark side of the family and I have traced it to a family member also born in Virginia, he was born in 1763.  Family history says that the Clarks are English.  I have not been able to confirm that yet.  But I am pleased to see that parts of the family go back prior to the Revolution.  Burgess Clark was supposed to have been a Revolutionary war vet.  I found where he had applied for his pension and land but he died before it was granted.  His widow then applied for it after his death, but she also died before it was granted.  I don't know what happened to his application after that.  I don't know if his children were eligible for anything. 
I did find where the family moved on to White Co. Tennessee and that 2 generations later another family member was in a war.  The civil war this time.  Daruis Clark was a member of Company G, 16th Tennessee infantry with the rank of Sgt.  There is supposed to be a transcribed copy of his diary in the Tennessee State Library and Archives.  Here is the link to the page that I found this information.  http://www.tn.gov/tsla/history/bibliographies/bibwhite.htm

Making a simple statement like, "I would love to read it." is such a huge understatement! 

There is an online site that is called findagrave.com that I have used several times in the last few years looking up family info.  Here is a picture of Sgt Clark's burial place that I found on that site.  The cemetery is small and only lists 23 souls interred there. 

There are other family members buried here.  Darius' wife and one of his adult sons.  This son also served in the civil war and survived it. 
All of this was available by clicking on connections that other distant family members have posted. So there is a possibility of some errors on the info, but it personalizes the history to think of my 2nd Great Grandfather only being 5 years old when the Civil war broke out. I can only imagine all the ways this huge event effected his young life.  He was one of the youngest children in the family.  The history I found showed that there were 25 years between the oldest child and the youngest.  I could get started on a whole different line on this story talking about that! 

 How does a family forget this? I understand that once the last family member that knew the person passes that the connection is gone.  That is sad.  These people are my family, they had dreams, hopes, and enough heartbreak to leave a mark on any family.  What surprised me is that my Great Great Grandparents are buried in the cemetery right by Gram's house and nobody remembered that they were buried there. 

Here is a lesson for you.  Live well, love your best, share all of yourself, and pass on as many things to your family that you can.  There will come a day that you have been in the ground so long that those you gave life to will no longer think of you.  They will forget your name.  They will not speak of you.  They will not know your heart, your joys or sorrows.  The will not remember how bravely you faced each day.  We and all that we hold dear will pass in to a dark emptiness in this world. 

For those that believe in the Lord there is the faith, that all that he gathers up will be there together again at his side.  Death's comfort.


No comments:

Post a Comment