Translate

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Old music

I have been exposed to satellite radio.  Love it!  What could be better than commercial free music on the radio?  I haven't decided what my favorite station is yet.  There are so many good ones to choose from! 
In the mood for stuff from the 70's.  There is a station just for that!  If you want some 80's or 90's rock there a several to chose from.  I haven't had a chance to hear the hard rock stations yet.  No hurries, the new truck came with a year paid for.  It could be I will have a few favorites for different moods.  After a year I will be hooked and then we will have to pay for it.  Money, why is it every time I turn around someone seems to want some money?
There were so many songs that I heard during our weekend trip that took me right back to my childhood.  I remember hearing them on my little am/fm radio.  I can picture my room at the Children's Home.  The concrete walls, the built in wooden bed frame with a single mattress, the bookshelf headboard where everything I had that was pretty was displayed to decorate my room.  That is were my radio sat.  Right on the center shelf that spanned the two twin beds.  This was one of my favorite songs from back then that I heard on Sirius Satellite Radio this weekend  Romeo's Tune.  When I heard it I was right there in that room again ,enjoying the music.  Good memory.
A lot of the music I listened to back then was on a turntable.  I have a vivid memory of listening to singles at my friend Sondra's house.  She had a portable turntable and several 45's to chose from.  We would sit in her bedroom at that little house on Vandalia and play those records over and over.  Two that come to me areSummer Breeze and Wildfire.  I wonder how many people will read this and not know what a 45 is?  Do you remember looking for the insert to put in the middle?  How many of you couldn't find one and tried to play a 45 with out one?  I bet it worked as good for you as it did for me.
I used to drive my family nuts when I was a kid.  I was always singing or whistling.  But I think I mentioned this already in another blog. 
Sorry I am repeating myself.
But isn't that what memories are? 
Repeats of what has already been lived.
I like repeating some of those memories.  There are some good ones.
I wonder why some are so vivid and others are barely a shadow?

6 comments:

  1. I was thinking the other day about that silly song "Afternoon Delight". I can remember singing along at the top of my lungs at about the age of 6 or 7.... not having a clue about what I was singing about. Ha! What a goofball. Songs can take you straight back to the past. You feel young again for just a minute or two. Kenny CHesney has a song about just that. I think it is called "I go back". I know you are not a huge country music fan, but you should listen to it if you are not familiar. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Can you imagine how many giggles the adults had if they heard you singing that? I was the same way with Romeo's tune. I would belt it out loud word for word and I had no idea what I was singing about.
    I will go listen to Kenny's song. I don't give Country music much of a chance anymore. I do love lots of the old stuff. I keep meaning to listen to more but I always end up listening to rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff. Something I find amazing. I play your record and up pops an advert for Groupon relating to Derby (my home). How the hell do they do that! I can blog, just and thats about it. I cant even manage a mobile phone! What a world we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ken. I am almost afraid to know how they get the ad for your area! I will start worring about how much we are all being tracked on the computers! I don't want to be paranoid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was caught singing during the early hours of the morning doing a newspaper round when I was a kid. It was deadly quiet and there was I knocking out a beatles song at the top of my voice and thoroughly enjoying myself when an adult came upon me. Very embarrasing. I think I was about 13 or 14 years old.

    If you like 60's, 70's and 80's music, try the radio station 'Gold', if you can get it on your satellite radio. If not, you should be able to get to it via the web. The web link is http://www.mygoldmusic.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Jack that is too funny. I will have to see if I can find Gold.

    ReplyDelete