Translate

Monday, September 20, 2010

Adventure

So I have had a new adventure in South Tulsa.  Had my 1st Epidural Injection.  I learned a few things today from this experience.  1st the lady at my surgeons office does not understand when a person has the option for sedation.  I went today thinking that they were going to knock me out.  Of course that means no food or drink for 6 hrs before the procedure.  Wrong.  The doc that I saw today informed me that an injection in the neck never has the option for sedation.  Can't do it because I have to be awake to tell him if something goes wrong.  So I went without coffee and breakfast this morning for nothing. 
I got to wear one of the lovely "gowns" that they provided.  I felt so pretty.  I did learn that if I had worn a regular bra and not the sport bra then I would not have had to remove it.  This is important because they untie the gown at the top so that they can work on the neck area.  If I had worn a regular bra then they could have tucked the gown into the straps so that it wouldn't fall off of me and show way more than I was comfortable with in a room full of strangers.  When the nurse offered me a warm blanket I had to decline.  I told her I was way too warm from embarrassment.  This is one of the few times that I have found a negative thing from being modest. 
The doc was good.  The area was numbed 1st and that is all I felt until he injected the steroid.  The injection didn't hurt, there was just a lot of pressure.  That is when I learned another thing about myself.  I pass out when they inject steroids into my neck.  I usually only pass out when I get IV's or when something is really painful.  My veins are deep and they roll.  So when I get an IV they always have to dig around and stick me 3 or 4 times.  That will make me pass out every time.  I have passed out once when a surgeon was reviewing my hand after a surgery.  He grabbed my finger, that he had broken loose from being frozen for 20+ years, and boy did it hurt when he moved it around!  Out I went.  It is so embarrassing! 
Guess that makes me a wuss.  I always thought it was pain that caused it.  Apparently not.  I was reminded today that embarrassment motivates me!  I talked them into letting sit up in just a few moments and then into getting me wheeled back to my room.  I got dressed asap and was out of there before they could stop me.  Another thing that I was reminded of today is that I will ALWAYS be a dork.  DORK DORK DORK. 
It usually does not bother me.  Today it did. 
So today's lessons learned from the newest adventure?
1.  Appointment lady is clueless.
2. Wear a regular bra to epidural injection procedure.
3. I am still embarrassingly modest.
4. Embarrassment will keep me warm in a very cold room.
5. It is not just pain that will make me pass out.
6. I am a wuss.
7. There are worse ways to spend a Monday then at work.
8. I can still make a room full of nurses and a doc panic when I pass out.
9. Hubby freaks out when he sees "them" run out of room in a panic.
10. Last & never the least..... I am still a DORK.
So now I get to wait for 7 days and see if all of this was worth the effort. 
I sure hope so. 
It would have been a better day if I had just went to work.

1 comment:

  1. I have been meaning to ask what was happening. Oh boy, did you ever have an adventure. Sounds like it runs in the family. I hope it is worth it for you, girlie!

    ReplyDelete