Translate

Monday, July 30, 2012

Hiding from the heat

I am hiding from the heat. 
I will take a warm day over a cold one anytime. 
This week I am hiding from it, 110 is not warm it is brutal. 

The AC quit working at work today.  The City's side had working AC, the Police side did not.  Thank goodness for someone's (thank you boss man) foresight to add independent heat and AC in dispatch. AND thank goodness my office is a pass through to the dispatch office.  We put a fan in the connecting door way and tah-dah, cool air in my office.  We had word that if it got too hot in our office we would be sent home. My poor co-worker was sure hoping but it didn't go his way.  The repairman showed up by mid-afternoon and got it all fixed.  Good thing since it is supposed to be 110 or higher all the rest of the week. 

My tomatoes did not make it.  My bell peppers are still hanging in there.  BUT all the clay dirt around the foundation of my house is shrinking.  Have you ever had to water your foundation?  It has been weeks since the grass has had to be mowed.  It has pretty much turned brown and I don't want to spend a small fortune watering it all.  It is still green all around the foundation. 

The house mouse did not make it.  Him and two of his buddies have nibbled their last bite of cheese.  It seems to be a common problem.  I guess they are trying to find a cool place too.  My sister had a house mouse problem.  I know she caught at least one.  Hmmm, I forgot to ask her if she ever caught any more.  There are mice at work too.  There are mouse traps set all over the place.  I can't help but notice the one set behind the copier in the squad room.  For some reason it looks so out of place there.  I haven't seen any of them tripped yet.  Thankfully I have not seen any sign of little critters in my office yet.  Cleaning up mouse messes at home is enough to keep me busy. 

I sure wish it would rain.  Rain for at least, oh..... two or three days.  That should help green things back up.  Too late for most of the corn and grain crops.  Now "they" are all saying that the price of groceries is going to go up.  Again.  On our last drive to MO all the fields had dead, dying or stunted crops.  I noticed that most of the ponds are also getting very low.  The prediction is that the price of beef is going to take a 30 percent price hike.  Ouch!  Both of us work for the "government", me with the city and the hubby with the county.  Neither of us have had a pay raise in years.  The price of our benefits have gone up but we do both still have our jobs.  At some point something will have to give.  It is strange to think that there might be a day when I can't afford a hamburger. 

I did get some nice shots of the sunset on our last trip to MO.  All the pretty stuff was behind me so I used the mirror and the window to catch the reflections.
I love seeing a good sunset or sunrise but some rain clouds would be a nice change!

I may have to rethink my view on cold weather.

Nahhhhh......  I still can't stand the cold.

2 comments:

  1. I got two of the little buggers. One taunted me for two weeks. Finally got him with Jacob's help this week! I am so ready for winter. Or at least fall. This summer is wearing me down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a bit to catch all them all too. I have one more cabinet to clear out and wash up. I hate cleaning up all the nasty little messes they leave!

    ReplyDelete