Translate

Friday, June 1, 2012

Vacation part 1

It has been a nice week.  I know without any doubt that I would make a great retired person.  Getting up early in the morning is painful, awful, horrible and inhumane!  The best thing about being on vacation is I don't have to hear that horrible alarm going off.  Plus it is nice not to have to worry about fixing things at work.  Very nice.  Very, very nice!
We haven't been in a hurry to do anything.  Sleeping until I feel like waking up and taking my time getting around in the morning is such a treat.  I could get used to that really quickly.  I wonder how long it would take for me to forget how horrible alarms are to wake up to? 

Here are a few shots from our short day trips around Oklahoma this week.

Beautifully ugly creature at the Jenks Aquarium.

This albino Red Ear was too cool!




I wish the photos of the Shark tank would have turned out.  It was just too dark and of course the sharks are always moving.  All of that with low light and the fact that the flash would just show up on the glass and obscure whatever was in the tank.....blah, blah, blah. 
(In other words I don't know how to capture photos with all of the challenges yet.)

Next was the 
USS Batfish in Muskogee


This was THE best thing I have seen in a long time.  Walking through all the small areas that these soldiers lived and worked was amazing.  I cannot imagine the courage these men faced each time they were submerged and had an enemy spotted.  There is a great web site that has tons of info on this vessel and the brave men that served on it, http://www.ussbatfish.com/ .  I have only started reading the patrol records listed.  It makes it so real when the Capt is complaining about the one "favorite" record that did not get broken during rough seas being played over and over. 
Inside the museum area there were several newspapers with war headlines from the 1940's. 

The date for this paper is June 13, 1942.

And the date on this one is May 2, 1945

  I have zoomed in and read many of the articles.  One that stood out was on the Hitler killed paper.  It is about a potato shortage and that there wouldn't be any until a local harvest was ready.  The article stated that there were 50,000 acres of Irish spuds were nearing maturity in Kern County and that there should be enough for Military and civilian use.  Can you imagine a potato shortage making the same front page as Hitler being killed?  Maybe it is just me that finds that odd. 
I would love to go again.  Next time I will not have my zoom lens on the camera.  I will take pictures of the rest of the newspapers so that I can read them all.  I would love to have a squid with me to be a tour guide.  *hint hint* Mr. Notned!

This is a photo of the mast off of the Oklahoma that was sunk in Pearl Harbor.  It is in the same "yard" as the Batfish.  The condition that this object is in tells the story.  I remember hearing that this was being brought here.  The story didn't awake any feelings when I heard it.  Seeing it did.

We hadn't planned on making this a stop.  I am so glad we did.  It turned out to be the best thing all week.  We were on our way to Tsa La Gi in Tahlequah.  We still made it there with plenty of time to enjoy that part of the day.  I will include that part of the day in another post. 

I will share one more photo that I took on the way to Tahlequah.  This is a sure sign that it is summer time in Oklahoma.  I wonder where this farmer was taking these big watermelons? 

No comments:

Post a Comment