Translate

Friday, March 7, 2014

West Tulsa

Other small little snips of childhood memories.

Here are a few from when we lived in West Tulsa in government housing apartments.

My little sister won a dollar bill.  I don't remember what it was she did to win the money.  I do know that it was a huge thing to her to win that much money.  My mom took it and bought a gallon of milk.  It broke Lisa's little heart but she shared the milk with us.

I got caught playing doctor in a closet with a little boy.  (Insert wicked smile here)  I was only 5 years old at the most.  So it wasn't like we were having too much fun.

My big brother learned how to sneak out of the house at the of 6.  Yes, 6 years old and he was sneaking out his bedroom window after being put to bed.  He set such a good example and taught me how to do this also.  I would have been 5.  We were both excellent examples and taught our little sister this trick too.  She would have been 3 years old.  Did I mention that my brother's bedroom window was on the second story?  Yep.  We climbed out the second story window.  There was NO way we were gonna stay inside and go to bed when mom put us to bed at 8:00.  It was still light outside and there was still lots of playing to do. 

I remember my mom had a date come over to our house one night.  He had dinner with us and stayed and watched tv.  We did not sneak out the window that night.  We did sneak downstairs and giggle at our mom sitting on the couch with him.  I don't remember if they were kissing or not.

A tornado came through late one summer evening.  Mom hid us kids in the closet under the stairs.  I remember her opening the windows in the apartment.  I couldn't understand why she was opening the windows when it was raining.  Once I got a little older I remember the weatherman telling people to open windows to equalize the pressure in the house.  It was a very powerful storm with lots of lightening and very noisy winds.  Once the storm passed mom let us go outside.  There was damage to some of the other Apt buildings but ours was not damaged.  I remember being fascinated by the green tint to the air outside, that the air was completely still after blowing so hard just minutes before and it also had a metallic taste to it.  I have read that can be caused from lots of lightening. 

I remember riding in my mom's car on interstate 244 going west.  There were 3 very large industrial structures that I though looked like hair dryers.  I always wondered why anyone would need hair dryers that large.  Don't judge me to harshly.  Remember I would have only been 4 or 5 years old. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment