Translate

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Blowing through the cob webs

My fondest childhood memories of summer were the few we spent at Grams' house.  Our main play ground was the creek at the end of Grams' street.

We lived at the creek.  We made forts, dug tunnels in the huge sand pile, and played hide-n-go seek in trees all along the creek.  There was about an acre of land covered in trees and we had trails woven all through them.  The trees and thickets were so thick you could strand on the trail right around a bend and couldn't be seen.  It really was a great place to play hide and seek.  My brother and his friends made dirt bike ramps all through the trails.  I can still hear the sound of their bikes launching in the air and landing heavily.  They were all so very cool with their spray painted bike frames and chromed monkey handle bars.
 
We left the house as soon as we could in the morning and didn't come back until it was time for lunch.  I don't remember being horribly hot much either.  I do remember freezing when I walked in to Gram's living room.  She had a window AC unit and if I close my eyes I can still see her sitting on her couch right in front of it.  Her crocheting or knitting project in her lap, one foot tucked up under her and her needle/needles flying.  I have never seen anyone knit or crochet as fast as she could. 
After dinner I used to sit in the middle of the street and soak up the heat radiating off the black top.  The warmth felt good after being inside in the cold air.  The road was full of bubbles from the heat and I loved to pop them.  I can't imagine me allowing either of my girls sit in the middle of the road for any reason when they were growing up.  If a car came speeding down the road I am sure they would not have been able to see me easily.  I guess it is a good thing that road was not a busy one.
  
All three of us slept in the back bedroom.  Grams had a full size bed that Lisa and I shared and Danny slept on a twin.  The only other AC unit in the house was in the back bedroom and Grams would turn it on after she tucked us all in.  I remember keeping the covers pulled up so that I wouldn't get cold.

So many good memories from my childhood have something to do with Grams.
This is her holding my oldest daughter, her first great grandchild, the day she was born. 

I miss her.
 

1 comment:

  1. Good times for sure. Strange how we had such a "hard" childhood, but still so many good memories. I am so thankful that she gave us some times of "normal-ness" if there is such a thing. Childhood should be full of innocent fun, spent riding bikes and popping tar bubbles. I loved reading this and could just hear the sound of the locust in the heat. The sound and feel of summer.

    ReplyDelete