Translate

Saturday, May 21, 2011

High cost

Busy day today!  Since it was a day off I got to sleep in.  It was raining hard this morning and that made for good sleeping.  I seldom can roll over and go back to sleep so it is a treat when I can.  This morning was one of those treats.  I took my time and enjoyed listening to the rain and thunder.  I did finally drag myself out of bed a little before 8:00 am.  I wanted to get the grocery shopping done before it got busy.  I took my time walking around the store trying to find new things to make.  Usually it is a race to get out as fast as possible.  The bad thing about taking my time is I spent a little more than I should have.  The cost of food is way off the scale.  Shopping is not my favorite thing to do.  I think I have mentioned that a time or two.  One nice thing did occur to me, this was the 1st time that I have done a big shopping trip since the surgery, that I wasn't worn smooth out from it. 
Once I got everything put away I started on a lunch just for me.  When I have a Friday alone at home I like to cook something that nobody else will eat.  Today was pineapple panang with chicken, a spicy Thai dish that is a favorite of mine.  Yum!  There are plenty of left overs too.  More proof that I really am starting to get stronger.  I got the shopping done, everything put away, a big lunch cooked and cleaned up, plus I got most of the laundry done.  All with no nap needed.  Progress is slow but it is there. 
Thank goodness! 
I seriously did a little happy dance when I realized this. 
Once the hubby got off work we finally got a chore done that we have been putting off for a long time.  We upgraded our cell phones.  Mine hadn't been done since 2005.  The sales lady was shaking her head at us two old dinosaurs.  We cut back our minutes since we never get close to using them all AND we put on texting.  Yes it is true.  I can now text.  We spent most of the evening playing with our new toys and I think we have them figured out well enough to use them.  The kids all got a kick out of us sending them a text for the first time.  I will tattle just a little bit and tell you that there were a few swear words floating around the house while things were being figured out. 
Our little town made the morning's television news.  I listen to the news in the morning while I am getting ready for the day.  The talking heads seldom (if ever) get things right but if I listen I can at least get a clue as what is happening in the area.  This mornings news on Owasso was about a bad vehicle accident on the highway that runs through our town.  A truck was going the wrong way on the highway and hit a motorcycle.  The driver of the motorcycle died from his injuries.  I don't know which of the Officers did the report.  I will find that out Monday when I go back to work.  I imagine the whole shift had to assist with that bad of an accident.  I hate when they have to do things like that.  It is part of their job but it is hard on them.  They seldom say anything about how it bothers them.  But it does bother them.  Drunk driving can come at a very high cost.  Sure makes you wonder why there are still people out there that will try to defend that type of behavior.  I just sit in a room and read about it.  Add it to the other pile of reports and make a stat of it.  I am not out cleaning up the mess.  I just talk to the people involved after the fact.  I do not have to deliver the bad news in person.  It bothers me. 
It is so ugly. 
The ugliness is shared with each person that has anything to do with it.  The man that killed another, the family that lost a loved one, the dispatcher that took the call, the Officers that had to work the scene, each person that will try to assist the family of the man killed, the Detective that gets assigned the case, and the District Attorney that will get assigned. 
Everyone will get some of the ugliness. 
Next time you think a cop gets over paid think about this.  It is so hard to not let the ugly build up. 
I think I will just leave the rest that I could say left unsaid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment